Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Butcher, the Baker, the Candlestick Maker...

I awoke this morning to the horrendous smell of a puppy accident. Poor Lucy had been sick in her kennel. I opened all the doors and windows, but even after cleaning up the mess, the stench was so strong that I felt the sudden urge to flee. My mom and I rounded up the candles and lit them, and after about 30 minutes or so I could breathe freely again.
I also discovered that my mom's favorite candle's wick had been completely burnt out, and so begins this tutorial.
Today I will show you how to recycle a candle.

Materials:
-candle
-mason jar or any glass container
-butter knife
-cotton string
-hot glue gun
-pot of water
-another glass container

Making the thing:
1) Get your candle and scoop out the wax with a butter knife or spoon. Be sure to keep the little peice of metal at the bottom of the wick.
2) Put the wax in the glass container (not the one that will be the candle).





3) Put the pot of water on medium heat on the stove and place the container of wax in the water.
4) Let the wax melt completely.



5) Cut a peice of string to be the wick.
6) Glue the piece of metal that was at the bottom of the original wick to the piece of string.



7) Dip the new wick in wax and let it dry.





8) Glue the metal piece to the bottom of the mason jar.



9) Pour the melted wax into the mason jar.





10) Hold the wick straight up until the candle hardens.
11) Trim the wick to the length you want.
12) The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment