Sunday, March 27, 2016

a note on sketching

Sketching is really relaxing to me, so I thought I would share my most recent sketch with you.



I drew this this past Friday in Carlsbad, California. I love going to the cliffs and finding cool rocks and shells, peering into the tide pools, and building sand sculptures with my boyfriend. Since he was at work that day I got to sit and get a little sunburnt while scribbling with a sharpie.
This was my view:


As you can see, my sketch is far from perfect. Luckily I have learned not to care about perfection in my sketches, or I would have been sitting on that rock for hours.
When sketching landscapes like that, I try to give a sense of depth through overlapping and difference in the size of the objects. The features or objects closest to you should be bigger than the ones farther away. You can also use marking and detail to create the illusion of space in the sketch. I tried to make the lines thicker toward the bottom of the page, and the top of the page had thinner lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment